Saturday, December 21, 2013

New Foil Technique

G'day

Been searching YouTube again and found a very cool thing to emboss foil with cuttlebug folders.

Thus I had to give it a try.  Of course I only have one stayzon black ink, which is used on all surfaces, which is no fun because I love using color.

So I got thinking, what if I seal the foil with mod podge.   I tried this on canvas, I noticed when I used ink on canvas it sucks it up and smudges.   So I tried a bit of mod podge matte and stamped and tada, it worked, no smearing or blending.

So I grabbed a tag, love working with tags and pasted on a piece of aluminum foil, heavy duty.  I then sealed with one thin coat of mod podge, let dry.  Then I stamped a sentiment and sealed with another thin coat, let dry.  Next, choose my favorite cuttlebug folder and embossed the tag and sealed with another thin coat.

I thought I have not used gelatos in ages and maybe I could use them to color in the embossed image and what ya know, works just fabulous and you know why because I sealed the layer, very cool.  Will be using this technique from now on.

Now I can use whatever, distress inks, markers, gelatos to stamp and color in on foil......

Here is my tag that I designed from scratch with a vacation theme in mind.
Click on pictures for details. Love how the foil shines.





Cool ha....what ya think...you like....love to know your thoughts.


Sealant used :   Mod Podge - Matte

Inks Used : distress ink - crushed olive, archival - library green

Gelatos : Faber Castell - yellow, red, green

Cuttlebug Folder - leaves


Love this technique, different and shiny, love the metallic look, cool.
Actually this is my second design with this sealing and foil technique.

Stay tuned for my initial take on this method.


I would like to enter this tag in the following challenges :-

Addicted to Stamps and More! - challenge #76 Anything Goes

Make it Monday - MIM #171 - with Bugaboo Stamps



That is all for now, check back soon for my first attempt at sealing and stamping.

Ciao MOnika

2 comments:

  1. Wow Monika, this is so creative and I love the finished look, the colours are so bright and cheery and the texture is perfect. Thanks for joining us at Atsm

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant idea (and one I must try when I get home). I love the depth of design and the brightness of the colours. Such a fun sentiment too! Thanks so much for playing along with ASM this week!

    ReplyDelete